- Go to: https://data.utdallas.edu and click the button ‘Access DMPTool’.
- Click ‘Sign-in’ and select option 1, ‘Your Institution’.
- Search for The University of Texas at Dallas. Tip: Quickly find UT Dallas by typing ‘Dallas’.
- When prompted, sign-in using your NetID and Password.
- If signing-in for the first time, you will be directed to create an account. Enter your First Name, Last Name, and NetID e-mail in the indicated fields. Accept the terms and conditions and click the button ‘Sign in’.
- Fill in ‘Personal Details’ and customize the ‘Notification Preferences’ tab as desired. Enter an ORCID if applicable. Note: These settings can be modified at a later time.
Plans are accessed on the My Dashboard page. Additional actions, such as deleting a plan, can be performed by clicking the ‘Actions’ drop-down and selecting ‘Remove’.
How to Create a Plan
- To create a plan, click the ‘Create plan’ button or the ‘Create plan’ header hyperlink.
- Enter project relevant funding information to be matched with a template.
- Under the question ‘What research project are you planning?’ be sure to enter the title of the research project. If it is a test project, check the box ‘mock testing…’.
- The primary research organization field will be pre-populated as the University of Texas at Dallas.
- Search for the project’s primary funding organization by typing the name in the indicated field. Note: If the project’s funder is not on the list, the research is unfunded, or if you are creating a Technology Control Plan (TCP), check the box ‘No funder associated with this plan.’
- To proceed, click the button ‘Create plan’.
Write a Plan
- Enter important administrative details of the project such as the funder, grant number, project abstract, Principal Investigator (PI), and the Data Contact Person. In the ‘Project abstract’ text field, be sure to summarize the research project.
- Under the ‘Plan Guidance Configuration’ section, additional guidance can be added by clicking ‘See the full list’. This may be helpful when coordinating with a PI from another institution. Click submit to accept the additional guidance.
Provides an outline of the template questions that are asked under the ‘Write Plan’ tab.
Funding organizations may have specific guidelines and policies, so template structures may differ. In general, there are 7 sections: Data Collection, Documentation and Metadata, Ethics and Legal Compliance, Storage and Backup, Selection and Preservation, Data Sharing, Responsibilities and Resources. It is important to accurately document the entire lifecycle of research data from collection, execution, analysis, publication, to archival. Remember that a DMP can be updated as needed or as projects change.
- To begin writing a plan, click the ‘Write Plan’ button on the ‘Plan Overview’ page, or click the ‘Write Plan’ tab.
- Click a plus sign to expand a section and see the associated questions.
- Check out the guidance tab for assistance, or leave comments on a question.
- Scroll down to ensure all questions are answered per section.
- Be sure to click save after answering each question. It is possible to modify each section at any time, if necessary.
- Set plan visibility. Note: Plans can only be visible after answering 50% percent of the questions.
- Manage collaborators by changing their permissions or removing them.
- Invite collaborators one at a time by inputting their email address, selecting a permission level, and clicking ‘Submit’ to complete the invitation.
- Clicking the ‘Request feedback’ button will notify the Office of Research Data Management Team to review the plan.
A DMP is available for download in a variety of formats including csv, html, PDF, text, and docx.