The goal of this tutorial is to show the process required to use the IRB: Consent to Participate in Research template located in REDCap. The Institutional Review Board approved this template (IRB), and it can be used to replace the paper version of the form for an electronic form. This form can be sent to participants as a survey to collect participants’ information and signatures electronically.
Create a new REDCap project using a template
- Go to: https://redcap.utdallas.edu and after entering your credentials, click ‘New Project.’
- Enter project relevant information.
- Enter the Project Title based on the IRB information.
- Select Research from the ‘Purpose of this project’ drop-down menu
- Enter important administrative details of the project such as the name of the P.I., email, IRB number, and more.
- Select ‘Use a template’ from the Start project from scratch or begin with template? options.
- Select IRB: Consent to Participate in Research and click ‘Create Project.’
Modify the consent form text based on the project.
- To modify the consent form text click on ‘Designer’ under Project Home and Design or click ‘Online Designer’ under Design your data collection instruments & enable your surveys.
- Click on 'Choose action' to Rename the form as need it the click on the instrument to modify the text.
The consent temple contains 14 fields. Modify the text in red located in each field.
- To access a field, click the edit pencil on the top section of the field.
- Click the Full-Screen icon on the editor bars.
- Replace red text with study specific language and change the text color to black.
- Click Save and continue to the next field. Ensure all the red texts throughout the fields is replaced.
Add Users and Define User Rights based on Project Roles
The rights of each user accessing a project must be defined depending on the user’s profile and role in the study. It is recommended to check all access rights on a regular basis during the study.
Change a REDCap Project Status to Production
This section will provide the necessary steps to change the project status from Development to Production. Completing these steps allows users to collect real study data. Additionally, it limits the risk of committing real-time changes to the project, which protects the data already collected.